The Melbourne skipper currently sits on 384 NRL games so if he remains uninjured, the Storm’s Round 17 game against Cronulla at AAMI Park will be cause for celebration. Smith’s old Storm teammate Cooper Cronk will become just the fourth player to reach 350 games when he plays his first game of the 2019 season — Smith, Darren Lockyer (355) and Terry Lamb (350) are the others.
The milestone also isn’t out of reach for Cronulla veteran Paul Gallen who needs 24 games for 350 games. Incredibly, when Gallen turns 38 in August he will become only the sixth player of all time to play a top grade game at 38 or older, and the first since the late 1960s. Gallen is only two games behind Andrew Ettingshausen (328 games) as the Sharks’ most-capped player.
Showing posts with label Cameron-Smith. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Cameron-Smith. Show all posts
Smith soldiers on to 2020 and possibly beyond
Melbourne captain Cameron Smith has squashed suggestions his contract renewal was delayed by an ultimatum, revealing he asked the club to secure young star Cameron Munster as priority. The 35-year-old fronted media on Thursday after signing a two-year extension with the Storm, ending months of uncertainty around his playing future. Denying an impasse
over requesting a two-year-deal rather than an expected 12-month contract, Smith said he would have been happy to sign for one more year rather than retire if the club was reluctant about his longevity. My thought process was to ask the question. If it was a deadset no from the club, then that was the answer and I would have been happy to go ahead with the 12 months and then reassess during this season for 2020,” he said, explaining the delay was tied to bigger priority signings within the club.
Cameron Smith signs two-year deal with Melbourne Storm
Cameron Smith is set to become the first NRL player to reach 400 games after signing a two-year extension with Melbourne Storm on Wednesday. The former Test and Origin captain is just 16 games short of the magical milestone that seemed unattainable not that long ago. But Smith, who turns 36 in June, has been drinking from the fountain of
youth his entire career, suffering few injuries. Re-signing with the Storm, where he is also club captain, means he's about to enter his 18th season of first grade - all played in the now famous purple jersey. His commanding presence will be strongly welcomed by Storm fans as they have farewelled three other 300-gamers in the past two seasons in Cooper Cronk (Roosters), Ryan Hoffman and Billy Slater (both retired).
Melbourne captain Cameron Smith has returned to training
Cameron Smith has officially returned to training with the Melbourne Storm, marking the end to a stalemate with the club over his playing future. Although his re-signing is yet to be announced by the club, the 35-year-old skipper has been training with the team since last week when he returned from an extended break with his family. Storm
officials have consistently maintained an agreement would be reached with their captain, and it’s expected to be announced this week.Smith, who will turn 36 in June, is now in line to become rugby league’s first 400-game player — a feat that is unlikely to be repeated. Heading into his 18th season, Smith is the highest-capped rugby league player of all time with 384 NRL games across 17 years of first grade with Melbourne.
Twist emerges in sour Cronk-Smith rivalry
Cooper Cronk hasn't ruled out playing on into 2020 and a shot at crossing the illustrious 400-game NRL milestone.Having blown out the candles on his 35th birthday cake on Wednesday, the Sydney Roosters premiership hero was widely expected to hang up his boots at the end of his current contract next season. However, the former Queensland and Australian playmaker kept the rugby league world guessing on Friday when he casually said he hadn't decided either way on a 17th campaign.
Leaving the door ajar means he could potentially bring up 400 games before retiring. He will become just the fourth player in the league's history to crack 350 games when he runs out for the first time next year. Former Melbourne teammate Cameron Smith (384 games) is expected to be the first to bring up 400 midway through next year, provided the off-contract veteran can strike a new deal with the Storm. Cronk's potential chase of Smith's likely record is a new dimension to the silent feud between the pair following his exit out of Melbourne.
Cameron Smith contract drama finally put to bed
Melbourne say there's no question that Cameron Smith will be playing for the Storm next year's NRL. Smith is on an extended family holiday, spending Christmas overseas, which leaves just a few days before his scheduled return to training at the club on January 3. But Storm football manager Frank Ponissi
said the parties would get the deal done. "We know a contract will be done," Ponissi told AAP. "It's still ongoing but everything's really positive and it's not a matter of whether or not he will play next year; he will be playing. "This is the biggest break Cameron's ever had. When he comes back he will have had three months off which will revitalise him."
Cameron Smith eyes two-year deal as Melbourne Storm stand-off continues
Melbourne Storm legend Cameron Smith is reportedly putting retirement plans on the backburner in seeking a two-year contract extension from the club.In a bizarre situation, the competition's games record holder is not currently contracted for 2019 as negotiations with Melbourne have reportedly stalled.Reports emerged on Wednesday that the two-time
Dally M winner was eyeing off a deal running until the end of 2020, a year longer than the Storm had been planning for.Were he to get the new deal and stay fit, it would see Smith, currently on 384 games, smash past the 400 mark.The question however remains whether Smith and the club will reach an agreement.Young Kiwi hooker Brandon Smith has shown plenty of promise, but at 22 will want to start seeing more game time.Melbourne may risk losing him if the captain does hang around for another two seasons.
Cameron Smith seeking two-year contract with Melbourne Storm
Melbourne Storm veteran Cameron Smith has stunned the NRL community by announcing his desire to secure a two-year contract with his long-time club.The Courier-Mail reports Smith is looking to sure up the longer-term deal that will see the Queensland Origin champion remain in the NRL until the end of 2020.The shock development lies in stark contrast to the burgeoning rumours surrounding NRL superstar’s retirement that were widely circulated at the end of the
season.The Storm had initially expected their favourite son to retire at the end of 2019 following a one-year deal. But a contract stalemate became apparent when Smith emphatically announced at the pointy end of last season that he didn’t have a formal deal for 2019.With negotiations dragging on, Storm football operations chief Frank Ponissi dismissed concerns the saga could disaffect the two-time Dally M medallist to follow former teammate Billy Slater into retirement.“Cameron has been given time off until January and we are in no rush. I have no doubt his new deal will get done in time,” Ponissi told the Courier Mail.
The Kangaroos haven’t played a game without Cameron Smith since 2009
This will be just the second Test Australia play without Cameron Smith since he made his debut in 2006 and first since the 2009 Four Nations match against France. It will be the first time the Kangaroos face New Zealand without Cameron Smith since the 2006 mid-year Test. At 23 years and 57 days, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak will become the youngest Kiwi captain since Kieran Foran captained the 2013 mid-year Test against Australia, aged 22 years, 280 days.
Boyd Cordner is the first New South Welshman to captain Australia since Danny Buderus did so in the 2005 Tri Nations Finals. Australia has played 58 Test Matches since that time. Adam Blair will play his 46th Test for New Zealand moving into equal second spot for most test caps alongside both Stacey Jones and Gary Freeman and trailing only Ruben Wiki who played 55 Tests. Shaun Johnson requires two goals to equal Matthew Ridge (71 goals) as the all-time leading goal kicker for New Zealand.
Melbourne Storm confident that Cameron Smith will play in 2019
Melbourne have hosed down fears Cameron Smith is set to dramatically bring down the curtain on his illustrious NRL career over a contract stalemate. Both Smith and the Storm have stated they want him to play on, however it's rumoured that the two parties are at loggerheads over money. It seems unimaginable that Sunday's grand final loss to the Sydney Roosters may have been the last game of the Storm skipper's career which has spanned a record 384 NRL games,
42 Origins and 56 Tests. And Storm CEO Dave Donaghy played down the chances of Smith being forced into retirement without a fitting send-off. "That's been my understanding (that Smith wants to play on) the whole way through," Donaghy said. "I think when it comes to things like this, that they're better off done behind closed doors to our timeline rather than others. "I'm really comfortable with where it's at and I'm really confident that we'll see Cameron run around again next year."
Melbourne Storm chief shuts down extraordinary claims Cameron Smith
Melbourne have hosed down fears Cameron Smith is set to dramatically bring down the curtain on his illustrious NRL career over a contract stalemate. Both Smith and the Storm have stated they want him to play on, however it's rumoured that the two parties are at loggerheads over money. It seems unimaginable that Sunday's grand final loss to the Sydney Roosters may have been the last game of the Storm skipper's career which has spanned a record 384 NRL games, 42 Origins and 56 Tests.
And Storm CEO Dave Donaghy played down the chances of Smith being forced into retirement without a fitting send-off. "That's been my understanding (that Smith wants to play on) the whole way through," Donaghy said. "I think when it comes to things like this, that they're better off done behind closed doors to our timeline rather than others. "I'm really comfortable with where it's at and I'm really confident that we'll see Cameron run around again next year." The Storm will resume pre-season training in mid-November though Smith isn't due back until the new year, giving him plenty of time to sort out his future.
Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith is still in talks with the club over his playing future
MELBOURNE chief executive Dave Donaghy has moved to quash claims Cameron Smith hasn’t been offered a contract extension for 2019. Speculation has surrounded Smith’s playing future for some weeks, with the Storm skipper hinting and his side’s grand final loss to the Sydney Roosters that there had been some sort of a contract stalemate.The 35-year-old had even tossed up the prospect of hanging up his boots with a post-game remark following their preliminary final win over Cronulla suggesting he might follow Billy Slater into retirement if
Melbourne won the 2018 decider.But on Thursday, Donaghy hosed down fears the champion hooker would retire without a fitting send-off.When asked on Macquarie Sports Radio whether Smith would play on, Donaghy replied: “That is the plan, everyone’s been asking me the question.“I never have been one to work towards other’s timelines.“We’re in continued discussions and there’s nothing untoward around any of that so we expect to get that done at some point soon.”Many were left confused after the grand final when Smith said he’d play on “if I get a contract” despite reports last month that he’d agreed to terms.While Donaghy wouldn’t get into the differences between contracts and “letters of offer”, he confirmed Smith had been sent a deal earlier this week.
Cameron Smith's classy act for heartbroken rookie teammate
Brodie Croft has revealed a touching gesture from Cameron Smith after the Storm’s demoralising loss in the NRL grand final. Croft was in tears at full-time of Sunday night’s decider, shattered at the devastating defeat. But his captain soon found him to tell him it wasn’t as bad as it seemed. Smith went to all 16 teammates, most of which were sprawled on the ground in disappointment. And Croft has since revealed the kind words his skipper offered him.
“It was pretty tough to take in, especially the last few minutes of that match,” Croft told Fox Sports. “Smith was the first one to come to me and that was pretty big when he came over. “He had his hand on my shoulder and said I’m only young, it’s a game of rugby league. “He said to bottle this feeling up and we’ll be better for it. “He said I should be proud of my match and how far I’ve come this year.”
A dejected Cameron Smith after the 2008 grand final
The Storm skipper was charged with dangerous contact for a grapple tackle in the second week of the finals. Smith tried to fight the charge, but was found guilty at the judiciary and was
cruelly denied a grand final berth. To make matters worse the Sea Eagles smashed the Storm 40-0 in the decider as a helpless Smith watched on.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)













